Talbot House Ministries is named after Matt Talbot, who lived in Dublin Ireland from 1856 to 1925. After overcoming a 16 year struggle with alcoholism, Matt became a devout servant of God to the poor and homeless in his community. The story of his life and renewal have become an inspiration to many people around the world.
Talbot House Ministries was founded in 1979 by the Pastors and parishioners of St. Joseph’s Church in Lakeland Florida. After operating as a meal service for the homeless for two years, the organization moved into a building on Massachusetts Ave, and expanded its reach to become a multi-denominationally supported ministry.
Over the next ten years, Talbot House Ministries expanded its programs and services to include a night shelter, a long-term live-in recovery program, and a free medical clinic. In the late 1990’s, Talbot House was informed that its building would have to be demolished to make way for the extension of Bartow Highway. After a capital campaign, a new facility was built at our current location in June 2001. Our new facility enabled us to expand the programs and services we offer to the homeless, a growth that continues to this day.
The soup kitchen of early years has now become a multi-service support agency for the poor and homeless. Our legacy and breadth of services make Talbot House Ministries one of the oldest and most comprehensive homeless care centers in Polk County. Our passion is to continue providing SHELTER, HEALTHCARE, and RENEWAL to the Homeless in our community as we have for over 32 years.
Donate Online Here
For Donations Click on the image above.
814 North Kentucky Avenue, Lakeland Florida, 33801 USA Tel: (863) 687-8475 www.talbothouse.org